Skip to main content

Week 10

This week in class we talked about our current degree paths and our values. We took a list of a ton of "value" words and were assigned to narrow it down to only 5 that mean the most to you. I chose Efficiency, Skill, Knowledge, Wealth, and Pleasure. I'm aware that those are some very apathetic values, but at the moment, I've got my mind on a set path to do whatever it takes to earn my degree (electrical engineering). To explain, in my education and career I believe it will take Efficiency, Skill, and Knowledge to become successful in my career. Hopefully that will lead to a substantial excess of money that I can use for pleasure/early retirement. It's a very bare-bones approach because I really haven't thought about it a lot.

In relation to my current major, I still am not 100% sure that's what I want to do. In all honesty, I had to slap something down to interview for scholarships and that sounded neat and I have grown on it but it is in no way set in stone. I am pursuing experiences that will help me know if this is what I want to do or not. I have talked with a professor about doing research with him but because I am just a first-year with no experience in the field, it is difficult to be of practical use. So for now, I am assigned with learning physics in electricity and magnetism on my own. It's interesting but also very difficult to learn through online sources rip.

In order to apply for more internships, I need to really study hard and make sure that I understand everything that is going on in my classes. I am also thinking about joining an electrical engineering club at Southern, I just haven't had the time this semester to jump on it. I should probably make a physical list of goals in order to keep a clear track of what I am doing and how my activities and classes will get me to where I want to be.

I hope that by the end of this year, when classes start to branch into their respective major pathways, that I will discover my passion and have a strong determination to find success from it.

But for now, I just spent $25 at Walmart on a whoopee cushion costume and antlers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3

Communication is a major proponent for improving basic human behavior and conduct, inside and outside of a professional setting. How we communicate poses a great potential to elevate or decline the impressions we give to others. We must constantly seek understanding through an open mind and with a respectful character in order to effectively communicate our own ideas and insights. In the classroom, our communication with our peers and teachers enhance our educational experience by collecting and assimilating contrasting views of a topic and having a mutual, respectful conversation explaining why we think a certain way. The " process involves listening with empathy, searching for common ground, exploring new ideas and perspectives, and bringing unexamined assumptions into the open " ( London ). This is how we begin to understand each other. As outlined by London, we need to move from a "din" culture of meaningless dialogue to a more progressive "dialogue...

Week 4

Two major topics we covered this week in classes were Growth vs Fixed mindsets and cheating/plagiarism. We had separate discussions about each but the two topics are actually related very closely. Let's divulge. First, lets break apart the difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. A fixed mindset is the belief that one is born with a certain capacity of knowledge for a skill like academics or sports and do not have much motivation to achieve more than what they think can be achieved. Growth mindsets on the other hand is the belief that knowledge is limitless. It's more about focusing on the process to achieve your goals and in turn, expanding your knowledge of skills by fully understanding the process. The " neuroplasticity " video explains the science behind how your brain creates new neurological pathways to store and process skills, which is pretty neat. The " Introduction to a Growth Mindset " video goes more in depth about the reasoning...